Some of the most rewarding volunteer opportunities in Las Vegas are at The Animal Foundation, where you can help save the lives of lost and homeless animals every day and in many different ways.
Volunteering at The Animal Foundation in Las Vegas is not about one-size-fits-all volunteer solutions. We appreciate that volunteers give their hearts, their time, their talents, and their all to support our programs. That's why we make sure our volunteers have the opportunity to help with a wide variety of tasks that positively impact the lives of our animals — whether that is doing laundry so that each animal gets fresh linens every day, walking dogs to help their mental and physical health, deep cleaning kennels so new animals can live in a clean environment, socializing timid animals, supporting the enrichment team by training dogs, or helping out at special events.
Our goal is to find a volunteer opportunity worthy of your unique talents and one that excites and inspires you! By joining the The Animal Foundation's volunteer team, you will help transform the lives of animals and do good things for the community while making new friends and discovering new skills. Every day at the animal shelter is different, and every minute makes a difference!
Requirements to Volunteer
- 18+ in order to handle animals
- 12-17 (non-animal handling) and accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times
- 6-11 (non-animal handling) and accompanied by a parent or guardian at all times. Volunteers younger than 12 are only able to participate in our Reading to Animals program.
- Be able to work independently and meet the essential volunteer requirements.
- Treat animals with compassion, kindness, and concern for their welfare.
- Must represent yourself and The Animal Foundation in a professional manner and treat guests, team members, and other volunteers with respect.
- Must commit to 50 hours over the course of 6 months to be fully trained and integrated into the volunteer program.
- Must commit to a minimum of 2 shifts per month to remain an ACTIVE volunteer.
How to Apply to Volunteer
- We are currently accepting visiting groups! We will be able to accommodate a maximum of 15 individuals.
- Please carefully read and fill out the Volunteer Group Interest Form to book an available volunteer date.
- If you would like to schedule a group larger than 15 or need other accommodations, please email us at email@example.com. Please keep in mind that we may not be able to accommodate your request.
- Visiting Groups only participate in non-animal handling tasks due to lack of time for animal handling training and certification.
- Watch the New Volunteer Orientation and submit the Junior Volunteer Application.
- Have the Junior Volunteer’s parent or guardian watch the New Volunteer Orientation and submit the Adult Application on the page following the orientation.
- All individuals who will be onsite must watch their own orientation video and submit their own application.
- Await application processing (about 1 week).
- Volunteers looking to complete court-ordered community service or school credit hours do not do any animal handling tasks.
- Please watch the New Volunteer Orientation and submit the School Credit/Community Service Volunteer Application.
- You will receive a notification via email if you are eligible to volunteer with us.
- Reading to animals is an especially great way to help animals who are displaying fear, stress and anxiety from being in the shelter. Talking to them in the steady voice we use when we are reading helps them to calm down and decompress.
- Reading to Animals is geared towards children ages 6-17 and their parents. It is also a wonderful way to help the animals if you cannot commit to becoming a long term volunteer.
- Groups of 9 people or less are welcome to come in anytime between the hours of 11am and 6pm, Tuesday through Sunday.
- Minors (under 18) require an adult chaperone. An adult can chaperone no more than 3 minors at a time.
- Please complete the Reading to Animals waiver in advance. Paper copies are also available when you arrive.
For groups of 10 or more, please contact the volunteer team at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up an appointment.